Having played hockey for over 20 years I can, personally, attest to the long and short term impact that this intensive sport can have on the body and why sports massage is beneficial. From veterans, trying to maximise the longevity of their ability to enjoy and compete in the sport, to junior players coping with the demands of balancing participation in the sport with a sedentary desk-bound lifestyle, we are all exposed to the effects of playing on our joints and muscles.
Common complaints include:
- Tension in the glutes (buttocks), quads (front of the thighs) and hamstring (back of the thighs) muscles.
- Lower back pain.
- Aches and pains in the hips.
Performance of all of the muscle groups above is interconnected. If the glute and thigh muscles are not performing efficiently, this can result in back pain. Equally, tension in the back muscles can impact on the performance of the other muscle groups.
Therefore, if one ailment is not effectively treated, the player can become locked in a the all too familiar hockey cycle of aches and pains. By regularly assessing and maintaining the performance of all muscle groups, it is possible to break this cycle.
A regular sports massage can fulfil the purpose of a maintenance MOT for our bodies, ensuring that the player can maximise the performance, enjoyment and longevity of their participation in the sport.
Our regular sports massage MOT will help to:
- Identify tightness and muscular imbalances in specific muscle groups.
- Reduce muscle tension as a result of weakened or shortened muscles using muscle energy techniques, trigger point therapy and resisted stretching.
- Relieve tired muscles, helping the body to recover more quickly.
- Maintain muscle length and joint movement range through assisted stretching.
- Flush through leg and glute muscles to reduce soreness.
It is recommended to book in for your sports massage MOT every 4 weeks. The effects of doing so will be immediate and long-lasting, including:
- Reducing tension, aches and pains in all muscle groups.
- Preventing strains and long term injuries.
- Reducing recovery times.
- Increasing longevity of playing career.
- Increasing enjoyment and sports performance.
To give your body the care attention it deserves book in for your sports massage MOT trial today.